Monday 9 December 2013

'There are times my colour is a disadvantage and I cannot get certain roles'- Juliet Ibrahim


Ghanaian actress Juliet Ibrahim in a chat with Punch last weekend.


Juliet Ibrahim
Background
My name is Juliet Ibrahim, an actress and I was born in Accra, Ghana. I am the eldest of four children. I grew up in several countries- Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Liberia and Ghana.  Some of the countries I grew up in were war-torn countries and I experienced war in Lebanon, Ivory Coast and Liberia. This made me grow up and stronger than I should be.   As the firstborn, I had the responsibility of taking care of my siblings and helping my mother during those periods of conflicts. My father is a Lebanese businessman, who runs a supermarket. He kept moving his business from one country to the other as a result of wars. I read marketing, advertising and public relations at the Ghana Institute of Journalism.

Growing up
I am a half-caste and as a child, there was no colour difference- you are just happy with where you are and who you are with. Then, Ghanaians accepted people for who they are.  However, I am being told now that I am receiving more favours because of my fair complexion.   It seems people now have issues with coloured people.

Acting
I have always wanted to be in the spotlight. As a child, I wanted to be a very popular musician and there was an opportunity in 2005. Somebody called me for an audition and I was given a lead role where I acted alongside Majid Michel. After my first movie, I got another role.  It has been nine years in the industry. Though not an easy feat, I thank God. Recently, I produced my own film and it will be premiered in Lagos this December.

Challenges
Sometimes, it is related with my colour.  The fact that I am of a mixed race makes people think that I receive preferential treatment. That is a huge misconception.  There are times my colour is a disadvantage and I cannot get certain roles. They would rather give the role to a dark-skinned actor especially if both parents are dark in the movie. Sometimes, the fair-complexioned actors are cast in the roles of husband snatchers and other bad characters. People don’t know that we go through a lot.  It has been very challenging to get a role that can elevate my talent.

The real Juliet Ibrahim
I am just a very simple person.   I am hardworking, a businesswoman and a mother of a three-year-old son. I do charity work too. I released two of my singles this year.

Relationship
I am married to a Ghanaian, who is a quarter-caste. His mother is half Lebanese and half Ghanaian. We met several years ago when he was living in the United States of America. I was attracted to his personality and intelligence. We kept in touch and got married three years ago when he relocated to Ghana.

Family life
My family copes very well when I am away working. My husband works too. He is currently out of the country. I miss my son a lot at such times but my mother is taking good care of him.

Any other business
Apart from acting, I operate a boutique in Accra. I have a beauty salon as well.  I also run a charity organisation for cancer awareness. It has been running since 2010. I have my production house and I also do music. I have a modelling and talent agency, where I recruit young people who are interested in taking part in movies and television commercials.

Style
I used to wear anything and walk around with my flip flops.  Now, I am conscious of the fact that style matters and anything I do as a celebrity is a part of me.   I always have to look my best always.  Style, for me, is wearing what I am comfortable in. I try my best to always play with my shape and make sure my figure comes out.  I can try any kind of dress. I am very dramatic with my dressing.

Favourite fashion accessories
Sunglasses and handbags.

Wish list
If I were not an actor, I would have been a musician.  Also, if I did not get the chance to be in the spotlight, I would have been a very famous lawyer.

*running to have my skin bleached* *lol*

No comments :

Post a Comment