Friday 1 November 2013

NDLEA saves 42-year-old drug pusher from possible death

Umeozor Joel Tochukwu
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has averted the death of a forty-two-year-old trader, Umeozor Joel Tochukwu, who was found with 1.305kg of cocaine at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos while attempting to board a Qatar flight to China where drug offenders are liable to capital punishment.

Umeozor, during interrogation, said that he was oblivious of the death penalty for drug culprits in China.

In his words, “I am a trader. I sell jewelries and reside at Oyingbo area of Lagos. My wife just gave birth to our third child. I have not settled the medical bill when I received a quit notice from my landlord. My greatest worry is that my business is at zero level because I have no savings. This was the reason I could not resist the five thousand dollars I was promised to take the drug to China. I did not even know that drug trafficking attracts capital punishment in China.”

Umeozor, who hails from Anambra State, also said that he could not further his educational career beyond Primary school due to financial constraints.
NDLEA Airport Commander, Hamza Umar, said that the suspect tested positive for drug ingestion during search operation.

“The suspect was intercepted during the outward screening of Qatar passengers to China. Umeozor Joel Tochukwu was positive for narcotic ingestion. During observation, he excreted 71 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.305kg,” Hamza stated.
Concerned about the development, Chairman/Chief Executive of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade called on stakeholders to collaborate with the Agency in the anti-narcotics campaign.

According to Giade, “The Agency will continue to protect lives through intensive control measures at all entry and exit points in the country. We equally need the support of all because we cannot win this battle alone.
“It is disturbing that while we are making frantic efforts to prevent the execution of Nigerians on death roll in Chinese prisons, others like Umeozor Joel Tochukwu are trying to increase the number. Let us join hands in fighting the scourge of drugs in our society.”

The suspect will soon be charged to court.

No comments :

Post a Comment