Monday 28 October 2013

I'm glad my parents died young: It's a confession that will shock, but after seeing friends caring for aged relatives, TESS STIMSON reveals why

Tess Stimson, pictured with her parents and younger sister, is glad her mother and father died young
My mum was a wise old bird. ‘Our parents either live too long, or die too soon,’ she told me once. ‘We either go when you still need us, or we become a burden. There’s no middle ground.’ In her case, I lost her far too soon.
Her sudden death at only 59 came like a bolt out of the clear blue sky. My father’s death a decade later, aged just 68, only reinforced the sense I’d been cheated. And yet, much as I loved them both, I’m glad they’re dead.
Don’t get me wrong: I adored my parents. I was heartbroken when they died, and there isn’t a day goes past I don’t think of them, often reaching for the phone before remembering there’s no one left to pick up.
But as I watch my friends and contemporaries - the so-called ‘sandwich generation’ - struggle to balance the need of their ageing parents with those of their children, fighting to hold down jobs and marriages, their finances buckling under the strain, I’ve realised there’s a silver lining to being a 42-year-old orphan.


Her mother was 59 when she died in 2001, and her father was 68 when he passed away last year
Her mother was 59 when she died in 2001, and her father was 68 when he passed away last year

No comments :

Post a Comment